Shearwater Parent & Friends Association (SPFA) was formed in September of 2008.
The SPFA put in place regular management meetings and term General Meetings open to all parents to facilitate its objectives as shown below.
At the same time the SPFA continued to build and coordinate the school’s Class Parent Representative network, to document process and procedures for school events and to lead the way with fundraising efforts with a successful Bush Dance, Spring Fair and other events.
When the SPFA was founded a constitution was drawn up through discussion and feedback and Objectives and Principal Activities were agreed upon. Though slightly adjusted to reflect changes in the school structure these are listed below and remain the guiding principles of the SPFA.
- Facilitate an understanding of contemporary anthroposophical education
- Support and encourage communication within the school community
- Give the parents and friends of Shearwater a voice
- Foster the wellbeing of the school community
- Work with the school community on challenges that may arise
- Co-create positive partnership with the school community
- Hold regular open meetings
- To support and create fundraising opportunities
- Communicate with and contribute to the greater community
- Elect parents to be nominated for SPFA Management Committee
- Elect parents to be nominated for School Board
- Elect parents to be nominated to the various School working committees
- Encourage forums within the school for open discussion
The SPFA actively engages with the school structures and ensured that every school committee and Board committee has parent representatives on it and engaged with it. These include the Board Committees of; Finance; Planning & Development and Education.
Individual parents continue to act to support the school in many ways every day.
Into the future The SPFA wants to re-invigorate parent involvement into major fund raising initiatives at the school and be involved in the establishment of a School Alumni.